Blog header image - duotone of collaborative working area


We’d like you to get to know us a bit better so welcome to the news,
reviews and insights from the Mansfield Monk team.

Sustainable Surfaces – Material Revolution Event

Natalie Moore | 10th April 2019 | Events

Last week we were delighted to co-host our eagerly awaited Material Revolution event, shining a spotlight on sustainable and recycled surfaces. The event showcased products made from waste and recycled materials, curated by Sally Angharad, alongside a ‘hands on’ moss workshop with Innerspace Cheshire and sustainable furniture sourced by Spacecraft. Mansfield Monk were of course on hand to give advice on how to improve sustainability and well-being in the workplace! All of this at the Spacecraft showroom with vegan food, cocktails and beer made for a great event. Thanks to all of our guests for taking part, we especially loved seeing your moss creations.

A few words from our guest speaker at the event, Sally Angharad:

Material selection: Mindful Materials

Designers and manufacturers are constantly pushing the boundaries of material innovation and it’s so inspiring to find such a variety of offerings for architects, specifiers and interior designers. In particular, sustainability remains a key driver for new ideas, with material alternatives entering the market that not only have less negative impact on our environment but also encourage us to slow down and appreciate the process as well as the outcome.

The selection of materials I have chosen for Material Revolution showcase products made from waste matter and give us a fresh perspective on what recycled materials can be. These mindful materials are aesthetically pleasing, original and thought-provoking with designs such as That’s Caffeine tiles, made from used coffee grounds and a contemporary take on the popular terrazzo tile by Altrock made with reclaimed by-products from the natural stone industries.

Materials shown at the event:
Really board and Really acoustic felt – made from end-of-life textiles

Durat recycled solid surface – contains post-industrial plastics and is itself 100% recyclable

EchoPanel acoustic panel by Woven Image – uses recycled PET bottles and is suitable for interior paneling

Richlite solid paper composite – made with 65% FSC certified or recycled paper content

Alusid Silicastone – created from waste glass and ceramics and available in both tiles and solid surfaces.

Smile Plastics – 100% recycled plastics and 100% recyclable

PHEE board – created from 60% dead seagrass leaves, 40% bio-based epoxy resin and can be used for interior surfaces

Foresso – British timber waste mixed with cement, resin and pigment to create a durable, terrazzo effect material

Bark and Woollywall from Innerspace Cheshire – made from cork and timber waste respectively and can be used for feature walls and latterly, ceilings.

De Ploeg Sea fabric – a circular curtain fabric made from shoreline plastic

Resilica – manufactured using 100% recycled glass waste and suitable for worktops and surfaces

The Offcut Studio acyclic surfaces – made from acrylic offcuts from manufacturers and comes as a tile

Camira Rivet, Xtreme and X2 – made from 100% used plastic bottles, recycled fabric and recycled polyester respectively

Notjustuseless from Katalin Huszar- an eco-design initiative reusing used straws for fabric design

That’s Caffeine by Atticus Durnell – a mixture of natural binders, plant-based resin and used coffee grounds to create tiles that are water and heat resistant

Etched Slate and Salvaged Iroko from Daniel Heath – reclaimed welsh roof tiles and responsibly sourced UK hardwood used for wall finishes and surfaces

PU Dust Composites from Charlotte Kidger – made from 75% reclaimed polyurethane foam dust and 25% resin to create a durable and versatile material

Biomarble by Hannah Elisabeth Jones – waste paper is mixed with biodegradable materials to create a surface suitable for interiors

HDPE panels from Metem – nearly 100% 2nd generation recycled plastic, is highly durable and comes in panels

Recycling Reject by Tim Teven – a solid material made from non-recyclable paper fibers for interior surfaces

Corcrete from Design Studio Niruk – a terrazzo effect composite of recycled cork and concrete and is suitable for interior surfaces

Altrock – a sold surface material made with reclaimed by-products from the natural stone industry, useful for furniture surfaces and worktops

Rustiles from Ariane Prin – uses metal particles from keycutting and metal workshop’s waste combined with Jesmonite to create wall tiles

Furniture shown at the event:
Mater Design – sustainably sourced mango wood Bowl tables, Nova chair made from veneer off cuts and the Ocean chair made from discarded fishing nets

Humanscale – the Smart chair made with recycled fishing nets

Alki – the first Bio-plastic chair, made with a plant based polymer and is fully recyclable

Photos by The Space Shooter